Skip to main content

My Day Trading Journey Ep5 - From Confusion to Plans

When first getting into something new preconceptions inevitably quickly give way to confusion and frustration. Having paper traded a few days I realize how quickly I give up many of the lessons I assumed formed a foundation and which instead were quickly forgotten in my desire to start the process.

I feel that I'm approaching this with such baby steps that I'm not diving in deep like I was. I did join the Bullish Bears, but I haven't really done anything with it yet except watch some of their videos, and used a couple of their scans for ideas. I have not yet joined their community or talked to members live. Part of it is I'm battling with the thinkorswim platform and trying to understand how to use the tools properly.

The gaps I see now.

1. Understanding and using the trading buttons properly. I have not yet mapped any hotkeys, so using the right trading buttons in the right way is important and still a gap for me.

2. Scaling the charts the right way is something that's difficult for me to master. It's not intuitive in the interface. I see videos of people stretching it back and forth and the tools provided don't come with instructions on proper use. I believe I have the manual trend lines figured out, and I can add VWAP and RSI to the various charts. The EMA indicators I can do, but thus far I've been concentrating more on VWAP and RSI.

3. I'm weak on recognizing candle patterns and figuring out proper entry points.

4. Due to the other interface issues I'm not 'getting' yet, figuring out the proper risk-reward ratios relating to entry point and exit point is very much taking a back seat.

5. Due to the factors above, paying attention to the Level 2 numbers has also taken a back seat.

6. Looking at a chart and quickly being able to determine its trade-ability is something I need to work on. This includes recognizing levels of resistance and support.

Given the list above, it's obvious to me that while I may understand some of the theory behind what I'm trying to get done, the mechanics are messing me up enough that I'm unable to do this 'trading thing' properly. For that reason, I need to step back from the paper trading long enough to learn the bits and pieces necessary so that when I return to it, I'm not an idiot at it.

My plans now are to go down through all of the Bullish Bears training videos, including the extras, and read their candlestick eBook. I'll also reread Andrew Aziz's trading books. In the meantime, I will look at how to work with the charts in thinkorswim, and look at how to work the right buttons at the right time, and search stocks for patterns. 

Again and again I keep being told that I have to pay money to make money. Towards that end, I keep being told that I should spend money to get Trading Ideas Pro and Benzinga Pro. Increasingly, I also see people use and are being told that Trend Spider is another one important to use. The platform is another question for another day, as I'm committed to thinkorswim until it's decided what's happening with my job. If I can keep it, I can look more closely at other platforms and Trading Ideas Pro.

Here's some of the costs I'm looking at:
Trend Spider: $564/year.
Benzinga Pro: $1,440/year.
Trade Ideas Std: $1,068/year.
FinViz Elite: $25/mo. ($300/year).

Question I have: If I have Benzinga and Trade Ideas and the use of thinkorswim, why would I need FinViz or Trend Spider?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Day Trading Journey ep2 - Hopes and Expectations

I spent my Junior High days (grades 8 & 9) in a school in Halifax, Nova Scotia. One of the tracts we could take was Social Studies, which involved History, Geography, and Civics. For some reason I really enjoyed them and at the end of the year there was an award presented with the person with the highest scores in the three classes. I won it easily in my first year. In my second year I was far in the lead, but for some reason there was a final project I needed to do and just couldn't motivate myself to do it. The teacher supervising Social Studies went so far as to call my parents and I into school to talk about it. He explained that all I needed to do was pass something in and I'd lock in the award again, but for some reason I never did. When school awards were being announced, the Social Studies teacher announced in front of the assembly that there was a big surprise on who won the award, and proceeded to call out another students name. I was crushed. I should have expe...

Notes on the Formulation of a Plan

"W hen trading bullish candlesticks, you want to get an entry when  price breaks above the high of the previous day. The stop loss for a bullish candlestick  is a close below the low of the previous day. " When preparing for the new trading days, this is what I'm gathering: - VWAP, SMA, and EMS should already be on charts. 1. Scan for 'stocks in play' and add them to the daily list. (incl. reading News for it as trigger)      (make sure the ones you include in the list have shares available to short, if you're going short) 2. On each one, mark hi/lo of previous day . 3. On each one, mark the hi of past year. 4. On each one, mark the trend. 5. On each one, mark the levels of support and resistance. Intraday scanning: Trade Ideas in coordination with Benzinga: 1. Take a look at the stock and determine if ideal for trading. 2. If so, quickly mark areas of support and resistance, and look at 5-minute chart to determine plan 3. Use 1-minute chart to d...

My Day Trading Journey ep1 - The Preliminary Plans of an Ignorant Fool

I remember a day in college where I accompanied my dad on some errand that resulted in us going into the off-hours floor of a local accounting firm. I was interested in possibly getting into accounting and saw a room crowded with desks, saying to him that it seemed they were full of people and couldn't use another. He told me that's not what he saw at all. He said when he looked around he saw a room so in need of people that they could hardly fit the desks in. I saw a business filled up and not needing anybody else. My dad saw it as proof they did. This stuck with me all these years. Perspective. Something my dad would often say was "You can't kid a kidder". I guess that was his way of saying 'Stop fooling yourself because you're not fooling me'. Search within yourself and when you get into something, do it with purpose, not a whim. This I've carried with me all my life. I have a wide assortment of interests, but in all of them I am obsessive. It...